In 2010, Operation Open Doors (OOD) started for homeless unemployed or underemployed veterans of the United States military. By offering vocational evaluation, employment and training services, placement assistance and post employment follow-up, OOD helps to transition veterans back into society.
OOD outreach program focuses only on veterans who are homeless.
Goodwill maintains referral relationships with all shelters. and works closely with veteran organizations such as the Veterans Administration, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, the Military Order of the Purple Heart, etc.
- Verify eligibility and screen for barriers to employment. This includes a pre-enrollment assessment of Veteran’s status and eligibility for Veterans Benefits. We will assess each Veteran’s need for medical, mental health, substance abuse treatment, legal assistance and housing needs.
- Vocational Evaluation provides a comprehensive assessment of interests, aptitudes, and transitional skills to aid in planning their career goals.
- Support Services include health care, mental health treatment, substance abuse and rehabilitation services will be available through the Veterans Administration or Georgia’s Department of Labor Rehabilitation Services. Veterans who have experienced a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) will be referred to Goodwill’s ADVANCE Acquired Brain Injury Program for assessment and possible enrollment. Veterans will be provided professional career and peer counseling as well as assistance in securing emergency, transitional and permanent housing.
- Employment and Training Services including classroom instruction in life skills, work literacy, financial management, job readiness skills. Veterans will be provided training in resume and cover letter development. They will be provided the opportunity to sharpen interview skills and to develop job search strategies. Along with career counseling, participants and the OOD team will jointly develop an Individualized Employment Plan.
- Placement Assistance is provided by OOD staff with job leads to temporary, transitional and permanent employment. Each veteran will be assisted with enrollment for employment services with the Georgia Department of Labor’s One-Stop.
- Post Employment Follow-up: The OOD staff will remain in touch to provide support services for an additional nine months post employment to insure your successful reintegration into the community. Assistance will be there to help with problems on the job, with housing, with financial management, etc.